For some years past the World Alliance of Reformed Churches has linked prospective postgraduate students with a number of Reformed theological institutions throughout the world which generously offer places to candidates whose applications have been endorsed by an official of a WARC member church.
Many students, mainly from Africa, Asia and Latin America, who would not have the opportunity to pursue further theological studies have benefited from the WARC scholarship scheme. Please note that WARC itself does not give money for scholarships.
Here is an explanation of how the WARC scholarship scheme works and the list of theological schools willing to offer scholarships.
Nature and purpose
The purpose of the programme is to offer students, mainly from African, Asian and Latin American countries, an opportunity to follow theological studies to Master’s level. A few of the 21 participating seminaries/institutions from 10 countries also offer theological studies to PhD level. As little opportunity is available for these candidates to acquire theological education in their own countries, WARC and its member churches feel it is vitally important for students to be given access to education abroad so they may return to their countries and provide the ministerial experience they have gained from the WARC scheme to their churches at home.
How the scheme works
The responsible officers of WARC member churches will receive every two years from the theology secretary a current list of the participating seminaries, together with full information.
The responsible officer of a WARC member church shall obtain from the theology secretary one application form for each named candidate whom the church is willing to nominate for a scholarship. The WARC scheme stipulates that each member church may sponsor two candidates each year, one of whom must be a woman.
The church furnishes WARC with the following information about the applicant: name, age, educational qualifications, ministerial experience, desired area of specialization for post-graduate studies and the name of the institution where the applicant would like to apply.
Preference will be given to candidates who are less than 45 years of age and who have not benefited previously from a scholarship programme for theological studies overseas. A member church of WARC may request two application forms for named candidates each year, provided one of them is for a woman candidate.
Forms shall be requested between 1 June and 30 September each year.
In order to ensure accurate record keeping the theology office will distribute application forms only for named individuals. Quantities of blank forms cannot be supplied and the participating institutions will not act upon photocopied forms or upon forms that have not been countersigned by this office.
Completed application forms, together with specified supportive information shall be sent to the seminary of the church’s and candidate’s choice between 1 October and 31 December, with a view to possible commencement in the following academic year.
The participating seminaries will conduct their selection procedures in their customary way and advise all candidates and the theology secretary of the outcome.
Since most scholarships are of one year’s duration and lead to a Master’s degree, applicants should normally be graduates or be at the point of graduating.
Since most of the participating institutions teach through the medium of English, a high degree of competence in that language is required. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) evidence should be provided in the case of those whose mother tongue is not English.
A candidate’s home church is involved in this procedure so that:
- the Alliance and the participating institutions are assured of the candidate’s backing of his/her church;
- the choice of seminary may be discussed with the candidate locally;
- the candidate may be given his/her travel expenses and any other necessary assistance
1. Aizawl Theological College,
- Post Box No. 167, Aizawl 796001, Mizoram, India. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One scholarship open to a postgraduate student of theology (a M.Th. student in the fields of Systematic Theology, New Testament, Missiology and History of Christianity), offering room, board (Indian style) and tuition for two academic years (June to April), with preference given to students from Asia and Africa. As the candidates need a permit to enter Mizoram in addition to the visa to India, the admission process needs to be started at least 10 months before the beginning of the academic year. In addition, the candidate’s basic degree in theology must be acceptable to the Senate of Serampore College to make him/her eligible.
2. Asia Pacific Graduate School of Theological Studies (APGS),
- Hanil University & Theological Seminary, P.O. Box 69, Chonju, Korea
- One one-year scholarship covering board, room, tuition and incidentals for education at the graduate level. Applicants should possess the basic theological degree or equivalent and show evidence of facility in English. Open to students residing outside Europe and North America.
3. Société des Amis de la Faculté autonome de théologie protestante
- Université de Genève, 3 place de l’Université, 1211 Genève 4, Switzerland
- One scholarship, covering accommodation, board and tuition, is available for students of protestant theology from Eastern Europe. This is a one-year scholarship. Candidates should have a good knowledge of French (which can be supplemented by an introductory six-week language course in Geneva in September-October). Candidates must send their request to the Faculty with a curriculum vitae, one year in advance, outlining the subject they wish to study.
4. Protestant Theological Universit
- P.O. Box 5021, 8260 GA Kampen, The Netherlands
- Each year one scholarship is offered for the one-year intensive master’s programme in theology. The scholarship is open to a female graduate student from Africa. Applicants should be under the age of 33 and have a good command of English (TOEFL 550 points or higher). The scholarship covers accommodation, board, tuition fee and the cost of travel to and from the Netherlands.
5. Karnataka Theological College,
- Balmatta, Mangalore 575 001, India
- One ecumenical scholarship open to a student or graduate student of theology, offering room, board (Indian-style) and tuition for one academic year (June to March). Since the medium of instruction in the college is Kannada (regional Indian language), the college will organize the required field exposure and research programme for the ecumenical student also at St. Joseph’s Seminary (Roman Catholic) and in the Department of Christianity of Mangalore University.
6. Near East School of Theology,
- P.O. Box 13-5780, Chouran, Beirut, Lebanon
- One scholarship will be offered in each academic year to those wishing to proceed to the degrees of M Div or STM. The one-year scholarship will cover tuition, room and board.
7. New College, University of Edinburgh,
- Mound Place, Edinburgh EH1 2LX, Scotland, U.K.
- Email: K.McLean@ed.ac.uk
- One Henry Miller Scholarship amounting to one year’s fees and a contribution towards accommodation normally awarded each academic year for a 12 month MTh course. Closing date for applications 30 April. Scholarship application form to be requested from the School of Divinity.
8. Pittsburgh Theological Seminary,
- 616 North Highland Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15206-2596, USA Website: www.pts.edu
- One one-year scholarship open to master level students of theology. Students must have completed their primary theological degree and are required to submit transcripts and the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 570. The scholarship is open to students residing outside of North America, and covers tuition, single room and board, single medical coverage, and a monthly expense stipend.
9. Princeton Theological Seminary,
- P.O. Box 821, Princeton, New Jersey 08542-0803, USA website: www.ptsem.edu
- One scholarship may be available, depending on the availability of funds, to graduate students of theology who have already completed the equivalent of the American Master of Divinity degree (for which the requirement is three years of full-time theological study following basic liberal arts preparation), offering tuition, comprehensive fee, single room and board, single medical insurance coverage and 900 US dollars. Open to students residing outside North America who apply for admission by the stated deadline.
10. Debrecen Reformed Theological University,
- 4044 Debrecen, Kálvin tér 16, Hungary www.drhe.hu
- One two-year scholarship open to students with basic theological degree interested in East European Reformation History. Prerequisite is a basic knowledge of German or English. The study of the Hungarian language is required during the time here, since the language of instruction is Hungarian. A recommendation by the official of the respective church is necessary as well. Room and board in a shared room costs 100 US dollars per month; single rooms are more expensive. Full medical insurance coverage is required. Travel is not included.
11. Seminário Teológico de Fortaleza,
- av. João Pessoa 5570, 60435-682 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
- Email: email@example.com
- One four-year scholarship for the basic theological degree covering tuition and lodging only. Preference to be given to students from Spanish-speaking Latin America or Portuguese-speaking Africa. The medium of instruction is Portuguese.
12. Faculdade Teológica de São Paulo da Igreja Presbiteriana Independente do Brasil,
- Rua Genebra 180, 01316-010 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.seminariosaopaulo.org.br
- Five four-year scholarships for the basic theological degree covering tuition only. Preference to be given to students from Spanish-speaking Latin America or Portuguese-speaking Africa. The medium of instruction is Portuguese.
13. Seminário Teológico Rev. Antonio de Godoy Sobrinho,
- Av. Madre Leônia Milito 2159, 86.050-270 Londrina, PR, Brazil
- Email: email@example.com Website: www.stags.com.br
- One four-year scholarship for the basic theological degree covering tuition only. Preference to be given to students from Spanish-speaking Latin America or Portuguese-speaking Africa. The medium of instruction is Portuguese.
14. Tainan Theological College and Seminary,
- 70143 Tainan City, East District, East Gate Road #117, Taiwan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.ttcs.org.tw/~en/mth.htm
- One single-year scholarship for a graduate student accepted into the Master of Theology (M.Th.) Degree Programme. The programme can be completed in one academic year of residence. Applicants should possess university level degree PLUS graduate level degree equivalent to the M.Div. The award covers tuition & room, and includes a monthly allowance adequate for board and other expenses. Travel is NOT included. The medium of instruction is English.
15. Taiwan Theological College and Seminary,
- 20 Lane 2, Section 2, Yang Teh Ta Road, Shihlin, Taipei 11106, Taiwan
- Two scholarships open to students or graduate students who could follow studies in Taiwanese for one academic year. Only students residing outside Taiwan can be considered.
16. Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education,
- 3401 Brook Road, Richmond, Virginia 23227, USA
- One competitive scholarship for the regular academic year for a student to pursue the Master of Arts in Christian Education. Must reside outside of the USA. Requires a bachelor’s degree with distinction and a minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (paper) or 80 (internet). Preference for this one-year scholarship will be given to an applicant who already holds the Master of Divinity or an equivalent degree and who therefore may complete requirements for the M.A.C.E. degree in nine months of full-time study. Scholarship covers tuition, fees, dormitory charges, lunch plan, single student health insurance as well as a living expense allowance of USD100 per month for nine months. Additional financial assistance available if attending the two-week Language and Cultural Immersion Program conducted prior to the start of the fall term. Award does not provide for travel to or from the USA, and the support cannot extend beyond 10 months.
- Contact: Rev. Brint Pratt Keyes, Director; Office of Admissions; Telephone +1-804-278-4222; Fax +1-804-355-3919
17. United Theological College,
- 63 Miller’s Road, Bangalore 560 046, India
- One scholarship open to a student or graduate student of theology, offering room, board (Indian style) and tuition for one academic year (June to March), with preference given to students from Asia and Africa. The sponsoring church should meet medical, clothing and other personal needs.
18. United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities,
- 3000 Fifth Street, N.W., New Brighton, Minnesota 55112, USA
- Two scholarships open to students for a one-year programme in the Diploma in Advanced Theological Studies, offering tuition and board with shared housing, open to students residing outside North America.
19. Western Theological Seminary,
- 101 East 13th Street, Holland, Michigan 49423-3622, USA
- One full scholarship given to a graduate student in the Master of Theology Programme, offering full tuition, room, board, and health insurance, plus a small stipend for incidental expenses. The scholarship is open to MTh students from outside North America.
If you are an ordained minister or are training for the ministry in a WARC member church, and require additional information concerning the WARC scholarship programme, contact the Department of Theology, World Alliance of Reformed Churches, PO Box 2100, route de Ferney 150, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland; Tel +41 22 791 62 35
Executive Secretary: Rev. Dr. Douwe Visser,
Protestant Church in the Netherlands
Administrative Assistant: Ms. Veronika Darras