Founded in 2001, Free Wheelchair Mission is an international nonprofit organization dedicated to providing wheelchairs for the impoverished disabled in developing nations. Headquartered in Irvine, California, FWM works around the world in partnership with a vast network of humanitarian, faith-based and government organizations, sending wheelchairs to hundreds of thousands of disabled people, providing not only the gift of mobility, but of dignity, independence, and hope.
- Our mission is “to provide the transforming gift of mobility to the physically disabled poor in developing countries, as motivated by Jesus Christ.”
If your charitable organization wishes to import and distribute wheelchairs in partnership with FWM, please read on:
Free Wheelchair Mission is delighted by your passion to serve the people of your country through the distribution of wheelchairs! Importing and distributing 550 wheelchairs is a task that demands considerable time, talent, and funds from FWM, our partners and their agents. Therefore, our team diligently evaluates the qualifications of all new applicants before a partnership is formed.
Though we can not guarantee a container of wheelchairs to you at this time, it will be our pleasure to review your application. Free Wheelchair Mission appreciates all who apply and looks forward to future cooperation with those who demonstrate the ability to import, assemble, and distribute our wheelchairs.
Major requisites to qualify and distribute wheelchairs include:
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of importation of ocean containers.
- Proof of non-profit status.
- Sound references from other groups that have supplied humanitarian aid by ocean freight to your organization.
- Evidence of financial stability, access to resources, and any applicable government exemptions or exonerations that will help to meet all logistical and financial obligations associated with receiving a shipment from FWM.
Facts to consider:
- Wheelchairs come unassembled in 40’HC containers of 550.
- Containers must be returned and are not a part of the donation.
- Wheelchairs cannot be delivered in the U.S.
- All distributions must include a training session and review of the FWM User Manual.
- Wheelchairs are to be given at no cost to the poorest of the poor, without discrimination.
- Recipients must not already have a functional wheelchair.
- Recipients must need a wheelchair for mobility.
- Distribution Partners are responsible for any and all costs once the container lands at an ocean port including, but not limited to: importation taxes and duties, demurrage and detention, inland transportation, storage and distribution.
- Distribution Partners are required to report to FWM within 90 days of customs clearance to provide photos, inventory updates and distribution information.
If you feel that your organization meets these basic requirements, please proceed to complete our online Application. A Free Wheelchair Mission representative will contact you to further discuss your qualifications and the possibility of partnering to send a container of wheelchairs to your organization.
We will only consider applications which are submitted to us via this online form. However, if you would like to view a printout of the application to prepare your responses, please click here and you will be directed to a printable form.
If you have any questions or concerns, please CONTACT US.
We look forward to hearing from you.