- This program is made up of individuals who are driving groundbreaking projects with large social impact both as employees with businesses, public sector organizations, and leading NGOs – and as entrepreneurs. The East Africa Fellows Program offers Fellows the opportunity to receive world-class leadership training along with the tools to accelerate the progress of their social projects.
- Acumen Fund seeks to identify and train these next generation leaders united by a common mission of harnessing the power of social innovation to create solutions to East Africa’s most pressing problems. Hundreds of NGOs exist in East Africa, and millions of dollars in foreign assistance reach the region each year, yet people are still living in poverty. For real development to happen in East Africa, it must take a drastically different direction. This new direction must be defined by a bold set of East African business, nonprofit, and government leaders.
Host – Acumen Fund
- Our mission is to create a world beyond poverty by investing in social enterprises, emerging leaders, and breakthrough ideas.
- Our vision is that one day every human being will have access to the critical goods and services they need – including affordable health, water, housing, energy, agricultural inputs and services – so that they can make decisions and choices for themselves and unleash their full human potential. This is where dignity starts – not just for the poor but for everyone on earth.
Field(s) of Study
- The East Africa Fellows Program is designed to develop the Fellows’ leadership skills and strengthen the project that they are driving. The year long program is comprised of five multiday seminars – including one regional trip – and culminates in an innovation conference.
What does the scholarship cover?
- The seminars will give Fellows access to world-class speakers, trainers, and mentors who allow Fellows to deepen their skills in leadership, social change, and innovation. The regional trip gives Fellows the opportunity to learn about social change models in other countries. The innovation conference is meant to be a chance for Fellows to put into practice the skills they’ve learned over the course of the year, as well as provide a platform to showcase their projects to a larger community of leaders.
How many scholarships are given?
- 19 given in 2011
Which countries are targeted?
- East Africa: Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, and Burundi
Am I Eligible to Apply?
We are seeking candidates with bold ideas, and a track record of leadership. While each Fellow comes from a diverse background and brings a unique skill set to the table, we have identified some key indicators of a successful Fellow:
- A compelling project with significant social impact that you have been driving for at least 2-3 years
- A deep passion and commitment to the East African region
- A proven track record of leadership and management responsibilities
- Unrelenting perseverance, personal integrity and critical thinking skills
How to I Apply – Next Steps
- Click here to apply – http://www.acumenfund.org/fellows/east-africa-fellows-program/apply-now.html
- Sunday, August 5, 2012
How do I get more information?